Online Rules Meeting-
The online rules meetings for football, fall golf (boys), cross country, swimming & spirit will be available August 5th through August 29th. All head boys’ and girls’ coaches are required to view the online rules meeting to be eligible to coach in any of the IHSAA or IGHSAU tournaments. Links to each meeting can be found on the IHSAA website (girls’ “golf” coaches and spirit coaches see below) at www.iahsaa.org under each corresponding sport. No password is required but please select your school from the drop-down box.
Concussion Course Instructions-
HERE ARE THE DIRECTIONS FOR COACHES TO ACCESS THE ON-LINE “CONCUSSION IN SPORTS” COURSE:
Go to this direct link – http://nfhslearn.com/ – to access the course.
Coaches who have never registered: Select “REGISTER” and complete the registration process. After entering your personal information (name, address, etc.) you will be directed to an “Additional Information” page. You MUST SELECT ‘Coach’ as one of your primary positions, you MUST SELECT ‘Iowa’ as your state and MUST ENTER YOUR BoEE FOLDER NUMBER UNDER THE HEADING ‘State Assigned ID Number’!! IF YOU DO NOT ENTER ‘Iowa’ AS YOUR STATE AND DO NOT ENTER YOUR BoEE FOLDER NUMBER, YOU WILL NOT GET CREDIT FOR VIEWING THE COURSE! If you do not know your BoEE folder number you can use this Iowa Board of Educational Examiners link – https://www.iowaonline.state.ia.us/boee/ to search for it.
Coaches who have already registered: Will need to “Sign In” (passwords are case sensitive). If the site does not recognize your password you will need to select “Forgot my password”. When you do this you will be asked to verify your e-mail address and will then receive an e-mail with a link that will allow you to reset your password and sign back into your account. The IHSAA does not have access to your password. Once signed in select “My Account”. You need to select “COURSES” from the top menu. The easiest way to access the “Concussion in Sports” course may be to begin typing ‘concussion’ in the “Search for Courses” box. When the “Concussion in Sports” logo appears, move the cursor over it and click, “View Course”. When the next page appears, select “Iowa” as your State and click “Order Course”.
1. Complete the ordering process by selecting:
a. “I am ordering a course for myself”,
b. Make sure that “Iowa” is listed as the State,
d. “I agree to the NFHS No Refund Policy for online education courses, except for inadvertent duplicate purchases.”,
2. When the ‘Order Receipt’ appears, click on “DASHBOARD” in the top menu, then click on “Begin Course”.
3. At the end of the course, there is a course evaluation form to complete before you can select “Download Certificate” so you can print your certificate of completion to keep for your records.
THE NFHS REQUIRES EACH COACH TO REGISTER FOR THE CONCUSSION COURSE AND VIEW IT INDIVIDUALLY. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO SHOW THE COURSE IN A MASS SETTING, SUCH AS A COACHES’ MEETING. THE PRIMARY REASON FOR THIS IS THAT THE NFHS NEEDS TO CAPTURE INFORMATION ON INDIVIDUAL COACHES TO ENTICE SPONSORS TO FUND THIS COURSE AND OTHER NFHS EDUCATION INITIATIVES.
As an FYI, below are the deadlines for all active 7-12 boys’ and girls’ interscholastic coaches (paid or volunteer) viewing the online NFHS course “Concussion In Sports” for the 2018-19 school year.
- ALL 2018, 7-12 sport coaches will need to view the online NFHS course “Concussion In Sports” before their first practice, regardless of when they viewed the course during the 2017-18 school year. Listed below is the first practice date for each sport.
- Girls’ and Boys’ Cross Country, Boys’ Fall Golf, Football, Girls’ Swimming and Volleyball – August 6, 2018
- Girls’ Basketball, Girls’ and Boys’ Bowling, and Boys’ Swimming – November 5, 2018
- Boys’ Basketball and Wrestling – November 12, 2018
- Girls’ and Boys’ Track & Field – February 11, 2019
- Girls’ and Boys’ Spring Golf, Girls’ and Boys’ Tennis, and Boys’ Soccer – March 11, 2019
- Girls’ Soccer – March 18, 2019
- Baseball – April 29, 2019
- Softball – May 6, 2019
- Any coach who is renewing their coaching authorization will need to view the online NFHS course “Concussion In Sports” before the BoEE will approve their renewal.
- Those who become an active coach after their sport season has begun, will have seven calendar days from their date of hire/assignment to view the online NFHS course “Concussion In Sports”.
If you have any questions about accessing the online course please don’t hesitate to contact Chelsea Clark (firstname.lastname@example.org) or myself (email@example.com). If you have any questions about the requirement for completing the course don’t hesitate to contact us.